Mom Story: Rae Yun from Oh Happy Fry
Mothers often don’t have it easy, with their minds constantly thinking about the kids, husband, and the household. What more an expectant mother, who runs an online store! Today, we salute Rae Yun, who not only has a toddler going through the terrible twos but is also pregnant with a baby girl due in just a couple of weeks! As a supermom, Rae also runs Oh Happy Fry, a Singapore-based brand with a sharp curation of beautiful and quality clothes for children.
1. You solely run an online children’s store, Oh Happy Fry, which though flexible in hours, can be quite taxing with a toddler around. Can you share with us what is a normal day like with your son, and what do you do on the weekends as a family?
Our day starts at 7.30am with morning milk feed before Daddy sends him off to playgroup. I’d have a quick breakfast with JJ’s Daddy, reply some emails and prepare lunch. JJ comes home for lunch and spends 1 to 2 hours playing with his favourite trucks/cars/trains. He then naps for another 1 to 2 hours, and I’d take the opportunity to run errands or work on orders like taking product pictures. Sometimes, we’d head out to the playground together in the evening before dinner. JJ goes to bed at 9 to 9.30pm and it’s back to work again for. Sometimes I’ll sneak in a movie with Daddy, but all these would definitely change in a few days/weeks time when our baby girl is here!
2. Tell us a funny story, quote or remark that JJ made recently!
Sometimes kids say the most hilarious things with such sweet innocence. Just yesterday when I made tofu with meatball soup for dinner, he told me, “Look mommy, tofu is swimming! Swimming!”
3. How do you like to celebrate birthdays and other special days in your house?
Nothing special to be honest, just the usual cake and birthday song. We like to keep it intimate and just within the family.
4. What are some of your ‘how-to-raise-your-kid’ values?
For now, we’re just concentrating on the basic manners — saying “Thank you”, “Please”, “Good Morning” to our neighbors and friends. We also like to give him some simple chores and thank him for it; tasks such as putting his dirty clothes into laundry basket & folding clothes. Hopefully this will teach him to be more appreciative.
5. You cook very often! Do you cook together with JJ? Does Dad cook too?
Yes I do. In fact, almost every day, for every meal. He likes to hover around me when I cook and pull out all the pots and pans, cutlery for his own kitchen, which is a Brio play stove. It can be such a nightmare but at the same time endearing because he would ask me what I’d like to eat. He only knows how to cook chicken porridge, pizza, soup and orange juice though!
6. How do you prepare for a trip with a child in tow? Any useful tips?
We don’t travel much because his Daddy work long hours and on Public Holidays. We have only been to Malaysia on quick road trip.
7. JJ is always looking super stylish. Where do you normally shop for him? In-store or online?
Mostly online or from Oh Happy Fry. I think it’s important that as a business owner, we understand the fit and quality of the products that we carry. That said, I do occasionally shop at Uniqlo or Cotton On Kids.
8. You’re now 37 weeks pregnant (congratulations!). How have you prepared JJ for an addition to the family? What are his reactions so far and how do you deal with them?
Thank you! We are so looking forward to meeting our baby girl but honestly my biggest concern is how JJ will react to her. We bought some picture books to help explain his new role, and also a doll for him to cuddle. He has been quite emotional, sensitive and jealous though. Fingers crossed, he will change his mind when his little sister is here!